Lewis and Neeley discussed emerging best practices for using popular tools like Facebook and Twitter. For those new to the world of social media, the two panelists mentioned the following applications for managing time, content and the constant flow of information:
- bitly– “bitly is the easiest and most fun way to save, share and discover links from around the web. We call these links bitmarks, and you can use bitly to remember, curate and share them.”
- Evernote – “Evernote makes it easy to remember things big and small from your everyday life using your computer, phone, tablet and the web.”
- Mendeley – “Mendeley is a free reference manager and academic social network that can help you organize your research, collaborate with others online, and discover the latest research.”
- RescueTime – “Spot inefficiencies in your day. Become better at self-managing. Make measurable changes that impact your time in a positive way.”
- Storify – “Storify helps making sense of what people post on social media. Our users curate the most important voices and turn them into stories.”
- TweetDeck – “TweetDeck is your personal browser for staying in touch with what’s happening now, connecting you with your contacts across Twitter, Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn and more.”
- Zotero – “Zotero is a powerful, easy-to-use research tool that helps you gather, organize, and analyze sources and then share the results of your research.”
Lewis created the internationally-recognized weekly #hcsm (healthcare communications and social media) conversation on Twitter in January 2009. The weekly tweetchats have grown into a community that spans six continents. She manages the digital marketing and internal communications team at Swedish Medical Center.
Neeley is assistant director of science outreach at COMPASS and affiliate staff at the University of Washington. You can find her at universities around the country helping scientists explain what they do, why it matters and why they love it so much.
The event was free for members and $5 for non-members. Interested in becoming a member? Please join.
Check out our calendar for similar events.