Update: Unfortunately, we’ve had to cancel the trip. Apologies to everyone, but we hope to have more trips and hikes and east-side activities again in the near future.
Photo by Steven Pavlov
Join us for a weekend trip exploring geology, hydropower, and winemaking in Eastern Washington! Registration is free and open to all NSWA members and their guests, but please note that accommodation, transportation, state parks admission, and most meals are not included.
We highly recommend that if interested in attending, you book a campsite or motel room right away for the night of June 24 (options listed below).
Register here: https://forms.gle/we398zmnTd21CrBY6. Registration will close at 11:59 pm on Thursday, June 22.
Questions? Contact Shawna Williams at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members and guests are welcome to join us for one, some, or all of the stops.
Saturday, June 24
- 11:00 am – Dry Falls: see the dramatic landscape carved out by a massive Ice Age flood, and hear from a ranger about the local geology. Note: The talk is free, but each car will need to have either an annual Discover Pass or a daily Washington State Parks pass ($11.50).
- 12:30 pm – Lunch at Banks Lake Brew & Bistro, then continue on to the Grand Coulee area
- 2:00 pm – Hike: Choose between walking up to the top of Steamboat Rock to enjoy the view, or a less-strenuous stroll through Northrup Canyon. A state parks pass is required to park at either trailhead; you can use the same one as for Dry Falls.
- 5:00 pm – Cookout at NSWA Treasurer Shawna Williams’s house in Electric City
- 10:00 pm – For those who aren’t asleep by this time, there’s a free laser light show at the Grand Coulee Dam
Sunday, June 25
- Morning – Breakfast on your own: Grab something at the Safeway in Grand Coulee, or stop by Voltage or PK Culinary on your way to the dam
- 8:30 am – Grand Coulee Dam walking tour beginning at the dam’s visitor center.
- Note: The tour will last between 2:5–3 hours, so wear comfortable shoes! Long pants and close-toed shoes are required. For security, everyone who plans to attend must provide an image of their photo ID in advance (upload in the registration form or send to email@example.com). Any attendee who is not a US citizen or green card holder must send an image of their passport at least 3 weeks in advance to allow time for a security check.
- 1:00 pm – Winery (Chelan area, exact site TBD): we’ll have a picnic lunch followed by a tour on the science of wine-making and optional tasting.
- Note: Attendees can pack their own lunch for this, or for those who are interested, we’ll put together an order for box lunches. Stay tuned for details. The winery tour is free, but there will be a charge for the optional tasting.
The Coulee area is a popular destination on summer weekends, so book early!
- Spring Canyon
- Sunbanks Lake Resort
- Coulee Playland
- Steamboat Rock State Park: At last check, this was full except for a couple of ADA-only sites