Apply for a 2021 NSWA Career Development Award
Applications are due Sunday, August 1, 2021
Want to attend a conference or class to advance your science communication career but lack the budget to cover the costs? The Northwest Science Writers Association is here to help. We’re now accepting applications for two Career Development Awards of up to $1,000 until August 1, 2021.
The awards will be given to print, broadcast, or online science communicators who have a primary residence in the states of Washington, Oregon, or Idaho to defray the expenses of attending a training, conference, or class* related to the professional development of science communicators. Awards are available for both in-person and remote/virtual events. For in-person events, applicants will take responsibility for their own health status and COVID-19 travel precautions and restrictions.
The event must be held between August 15, 2021 and August 14, 2022. Funds must be used by no later than August 14, 2022. The grant can be disbursed in a maximum of two payments. One invoice with original receipts may be submitted prior to the event to cover expenses incurred in preparation, such as travel and registration fees. A second and final invoice should be submitted within two months of the completion of the event and should include any remaining expenses from the event, such as lodging and meals. The combined total can be up to $1,000.
After the event, recipients must also submit a one-page written meeting report for publication on the NSWA website, or present on their experiences at an NSWA gathering, in person or online.
Applicants must be members of NSWA at the time of application and cannot be current members of the board. To join NSWA, visit http://nwscience.org/join. The completed application must be submitted via email by 11:59 p.m. Pacific Time on Sunday, August 1, 2021. A subcommittee of the NSWA board of directors will serve as the awards committee. Applicants will be notified of the results by August 15, 2021.
Examples of meetings covered by this award :
- AAAS Annual Meeting (February)
- AHCJ Health Journalism conference (October)
- Santa Fe Science Writing Workshop (May)
- NASW/CASW Science Writers conference (October)
- American Medical Writers Association (October).
(Recipients will forfeit their NSWA award if they subsequently receive another travel grant for the same conference or meeting.)
To be considered for a career development award, applicants must submit:
- Completed application (see Google Form below)
- Letter of interest (see Google Form below). Include a brief discussion of your current work or position and a statement about how the particular meeting is important for your career development (no more than one page single-spaced)
- Resume (email to firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Work Samples: Include at least two samples of your recent published work. This may include an article, editorial, column, essay, cartoon, photograph, link to video or audio file, websites, or other communications media. Please provide either a PDF or public URL (email to email@example.com.
Submit all application materials by 11:59 p.m. August 1, 2021 via Google Form and email to the NSWA Awards Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Send questions to the awards committee at email@example.com.